Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Playing around with Inkodye

Inkodye is a product that uses light sensitive ink to make an image on fabric.

I've seen some cool and creative uses of it lately and the colors of their dyes look very bright and cheery.

I got a starter kit to play around with the blue ink.  I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I'm armed with some t-shirts and some (expensive) transparency film that can be sent through my printer.  

I'm not sure how archival this ink is but it looks like it would stay a long time.  I want to try it on some shirts and wash them a bunch to see if they fade a lot before I try it on a quilt.

It might be good to try on a small project like a bag or something too.

I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out.  It seems like a much easier alternative to screen printing.  It comes in less colors and costs more for the inks but requires way less equipment and clean up so it might be an interesting trade off.  Given you don't have to purchase all the screens, it is certainly cheaper to get started.

Now all I have to do is start. Stay tuned!

 

1 comment:

Wendy said...

It looks really interesting, i haven't seen it around at all